Notes on an Absence
Hi all! I’m sure you’ve been wondering what I’ve been up to that’s taken me away from the blog for so long. Well, as you probably know – I like to write longer articles, and if I don’t have the time to make a post that meets my standards for this blog, I just don’t post. That isn’t to say that I don’t have a LOT of posts that I need to write, because I do!
I recently added another son to my family, and I haven’t had the time to write very much on the computer lately. But I’m not the only blogger in my family. My fantastic sister-in-law (Alexis) is a co-blogger of a Columbus, Ohio – based blog that I enjoy very much (Wander & Whine). Nepotism aside, both bloggers worked in the publishing industry… or at least until recently, where they both took exciting job opportunities elsewhere – but they can both write!
If you’re at all interested in food, travel, and what to do in Columbus (and beyond – they’ve hit some other locations such as Chicago and Vegas thus far), give their blog a look-see!
As for what I’ve been up to lately besides the obvious, I’ve been consuming books, movies, and events whenever I’ve been able to. Some of the highlights lately have involved:
- Visiting the Calvin & Hobbes exhibit at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Museum (3 times… it ends August 3), but there is an exhibition catalogue (Exploring Calvin and Hobbes) being published soon – which was supposed to have been released on July 29 (2 days ago), but still has yet to be released.
- Attended the Daniel Clowes Modern Cartoonist and Eye of the Cartoonist exhibit at the Wexner Center for the Arts (also ending August 3). This is a semi-travelling show, and the catalogue (The Art of Daniel Clowes: Modern Cartoonist) has long been available (and has all of the artwork on display). It was incredible seeing his work up close, along with the selections that were made available in his curated exhibit, which included his greatest influences. I’ll write up a recap of each exhibit at some point.
- Watched the Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight movie cycle. Unfortunately, I was unable to actually attend a special screening of Boyhood with the director, Richard Linklater.
If you’re at all interested in Richard Linklater and are in the Columbus, Ohio vicinity for some reason soon – here’s what you should definitely attend (the Wexner Center is screening a retrospective of his oeuvre):
- Tuesday, August 5: Before Sunset (2004), and Double Play: James Benning and Richard Linklater (Gabe Klinger, 2013) – a documentary (70 mins) that explores the friendship between Benning and Linklater and examines the points of convergence of their works.
- Thursday, August 7: Me and Orson Welles (2008), and Bernie (2011)
- Tuesday, August 12: Before Midnight (2013)
- Thursday, August 14: School of Rock (2003)
- Saturday, August 16: A Scanner Darkly (2006), Waking Life (2001)
- Tuesday, August 19: Tape (2001), Fast Food Nation (2006)
- Tuesday, September 2: Dazed and Confused (1993)
I also began a different blog, that’s more casual (and for my personal observations), which means Ephemeral Pursuits will remain focused on books and movies alone (along with some related items). Everything else will be posted at the other blog, which won’t always have posts as long as I typically make them here.
Hope the summer (or winter for our Southern Hemisphere friends) has been treating you well!